Pension helpline

(01482) 394113


East Riding Pension Fund
PO Box 118
Council Offices
Church Street
East Riding of Yorkshire
DN14 5BG


Pension-related queries:

Notification of the death of a scheme member or pensioner

This may be done via telephone or in writing. If writing to us please include:

  • the full name and address of the deceased
  • the name and address of the person acting for the estate.

Please also include the original death certificate, which will be returned by post, or a copy signed by a solicitor or stamped and witnessed by a recognised officer of the employing authority.

Changes to your personal circumstances

You can inform us of any changes to your personal details via email or in writing. All emails should be sent from a valid work email address or a pre-registered personal email address. To register your personal email address please download and complete the change of circumstances form below:

Change of circumstances online form

Once complete, please send back to the address at the top of the page.


The East Riding Pension Fund (ERPF) will deal with any feedback from members, whether this is good or bad, it is always better to look at processes to ensure they are not outdated and still fit for purpose.

If you would like to leave positive feedback regarding your experience with the ERPF you can visit

If your feedback is negative, before going to the trouble of making a formal complaint relating to your LGPS membership or benefits you should contact the ERPF direct. The reason for this is the scheme is set out in law and the Regulations can be complicated so the ERPF would welcome the opportunity to try and resolve the matter informally by checking for any misunderstandings or inaccuracies.

If you are still dissatisfied you have the right to have your complaint independently reviewed under the Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure (IDRP), which is a two stage procedure. The IDRP is a way of dealing with complaints from prospective, active, deferred, pensioner or dependant members of the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) about decisions relating to their pension benefits made by either their employer or the administering authority.  The administering authority for the ERPF is the East Riding of Yorkshire Council. You can also choose a person to represent you, for example, a relative, friend or trade union representative.

Any complaint you make will be treated seriously, and considered thoroughly and fairly.  You should be aware that if your dispute has already become the subject of proceedings in any court or tribunal, then Under the Pensions Act 1995 you cannot use the IDRP to resolve your dispute.

Stage 1

If you decide to make a formal complaint, you should request an application form from the ERPF and return it along with any supporting documents you wish to submit.  Submission must be made within six months of the date of the decision you want to complain about.

Your complaint will be considered carefully by an adjudicator from the employer or the administering authority that made the decision against which you want to complain.

You will receive a written notice of the decision within two months following receipt of your application form. If it is not possible for a decision to be made within two months, the adjudicator will notify to you, in writing, of the reason for the delay and when you can expect to receive a decision. 

If the adjudicator’s decision is contrary to the decision you complained about, the employer or the administering authority may now have to deal with your case in accordance with the adjudicator’s recommendations.

Stage 2

You can ask the administering authority to take another look at your complaint by referring it to Stage 2 of the IDRP:

  • if you are still dissatisfied with the decision,
  • if the adjudicator has not made a decision or sent you a letter of explanation within three months of your application, or
  • where an interim letter of explanation has been sent, but the adjudicator has failed to issue the decision within one month of the expected date given in that letter.

To do this, you should contact the ERPF for a Stage 2 application which again has to be submitted within six months of the adjudicator’s Stage 1 decision. This review will be undertaken by a person who has had no involvement in the Stage 1 decision. The East Riding of Yorkshire Council’s Pensions Committee has given approval for the Pensions Manager to be the point of referral for Stage 2 disputes.

You can contact The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS) at any point during the procedure if you are having difficulties resolving a complaint as they provide free advice and information to explain your rights and responsibilities. A TPAS adviser cannot force a pension scheme to take a particular step but if they feel your complaint is justified, they will try and resolve the problem through conciliation and mediation.

Where the complaint or dispute cannot be resolved after the intervention of TPAS you have three years from the date of the original decision in which to apply to the Pensions Ombudsman Service for adjudication.  

The Pensions Ombudsman Service is completely independent and acts as an impartial adjudicator whose role and powers have been decided by Parliament. The Pensions Ombudsman Service can investigate any type of complaint about your pension but first you must have been through Stages 1 and 2 of the IDRP.  However, if you have a complaint about the way your case has been handled you can contact the Pensions Ombudsman Service before your case has been completed under the IDRP.

The Pensions Ombudsman Service decision is final and binding on all the parties, subject to any appeal made to the High Court on a point of law.

The Pensions Advisory Service (TPAS)

11 Belgrave Road

Telephone:  0800 011 3797


Pensions Ombudsman Service

10 South Colonnade
Canary Wharf
E14 4PU

Telephone:  0800 917 4487



East Riding Pension Fund

PO Box 118
Council Offices
Church Street
East Riding of Yorkshire
DN14 5BG

Telephone:  (01482) 394178



How can The Pensions Ombudsman help me?

The Pensions Ombudsman solely deals with pension complaints. It can help if you have a complaint or dispute about the administration (including transfers/conversion) and/or management of personal and occupational pensions.

The types of pension arrangements it looks at include:

  • executive, group, and personal pension plans
  • self-invested personal pensions (SIPP)
  • small self-administered pension schemes
  • workplace, employer, and stakeholder pension schemes
  • free standing additional voluntary contribution schemes, and
  • annuities and section 32 buy-out policies.

Some examples of types of complaints it considers include:

  • auto enrolment
  • benefits: incorrect calculation/refusal/failure to pay or late payment
  • charges/fees
  • death benefits
  • failure to provide information/act on instructions
  • fund switches
  • guaranteed Annuity Rate
  • ill health
  • interpretation of scheme rules/policy terms
  • misquote/misinformation
  • Payment/pension increases
  • pension liberation
  • transfers: general
  • winding up, and
  • with-profits issues.

There is no financial limit on the amount of money that The Pensions Ombudsman can make a party award you. Its determinations are legally binding on all the parties and are enforceable in court. 

Contacting the ombudsman

Contact with The Pensions Ombudsman about a complaint needs to be made within three years of when the event(s) you are complaining about happened – or, if later, within three years of when you first knew about it (or ought to have known about it). There is discretion for those time limits to be extended.

The Pensions Ombudsman can be contacted at 10 South Colonnade, Canary Wharf, E14 4PU. Tel: 0800 917 4487.  Email:  Website:

You can also submit a complaint form online:

If you have general requests for information or guidance concerning your pension arrangements contact:

The Pensions Advisory Service
11 Belgrave Road

Telephone: 0800 011 3797


© 2021 | Privacy | Cookies